Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Beginning

Today I visited First Baptist Church in Euless, TX. I had watched a television program last week and saw an interview of a deaf pastor. Yes, you heard me. Pastor John Meador is deaf and he's a pastor. In the interview, he was asked how it was he came to become a pastor. His reply was riveting. He said, "I asked God how I could preach when I couldn't hear the people. God said that I didn't need to hear the people to preach; I just needed to hear Him." Once I heard his story, I knew I had to visit and see this man speak in person. I was not disappointed.

First Baptist Euless is a BIG church. I think they have over 3000 people that attend each weekend. But the size was not overwhelming for me and I was warmly welcomed by many people. I chose to attend the contemporary service. First, I knew exactly where to go when I arrived. I like that. As a stranger, I don't generally like to ask directions. (You thought that was just a guy-thing, didn't you?) Second, the music was great; it was a mix of light gospel that had a Hillsong sound. The guitar solo during the offering was incredible - that guy could play a riff! But, it was executed flawlessly and demonstrated excellent musicianship while maintaining a reverence for God.

I had done my homework before I went and knew Pastor Meador's style was a verse-by-verse expository type of preaching. I was not disappointed. The message was on tithing, but he brought a depth of understanding to it with some unique points. There were a couple of points I connected deeply to on a personal level. The delivery was passionate, authentic, and biblically sound. Third, the church is very missional. There were clips of some of the city-wide missions that the church is involved in and social justice seemed to be a strong point. Fourth, the service ended with a prayer of commission for the youth who were leaving for camp. Involved youth is an indicator to me that whatever they are doing is reaching this culture.

Clearly, this is a church that is growing and family-friendly. I didn't see a large mix of ethnicity; it appeared to be mostly caucasian to me, but I tend to look for that. (My ideal church would be to have a mix of every culture in attendance - personal preference.) After the service, visitors were invited to an anteroom where you could meet other staff and the pastor.

It was a great beginning to this 6 month journey with God. If you want to know more about First Baptist of Euless, you can visit them at http://www.firsteuless.com/ or follow them on Twitter at www.twitter.com/firsteuless. Links are located on the sidebar for all churches visited and blogs.

Grace and Peace

4 comments:

  1. Wanda,
    I was directed to your blog from another member of our church. I am so glad you visted FBC Euless and that you found it to be a positive experience, because that is what we all really hope for our visitors (and members too, of course).

    I go to the first service, which is a little more conservative. But I think you would find the same friendliness there too.

    I hope when your 6 month journey exploring churches is up, you won't forget about us, and will come back again, and maybe stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Wanda:

    Thanks for visiting First Euless. Hope you can come back again. I'm at the center sanctuary doors each week so hopefully you came by there the 12th. It's kind of hard to miss me (6'2", 300 lb.,near-sighted grandpa). BTW ... my wife and daughters are all educators like you.

    While the majority of First Euless members and visitors are caucasian, we have a very wide mix of races and at least 50+ nationalities. Having been involved with missions support and extensive travel for 30 years, I love greeting people from all over the world.

    Our church has a loving heart for missions at home and abroad. The pastor paid his way and took vacation to go on a mission trip with the teens to Mexico last year. We've done "Extreme Makeover" like home rebuilding and partner with the city and other churches to address dozens of these needs.

    If you have any questions please give First Euless an opportunity to address them.

    Jon B. Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Barbara! I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon,

    Your testimony of your church's activities in serving and missions is inspiring. I continue to be impressed by the authenticity that Pastor Meador and First Baptist exhibit. I hope that every church I visit in the next six months is as active in servant leadership as this church is. I appreciate your prayers as I journey.

    ReplyDelete