Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Stranger

You don't know me yet. I'm a stranger. I'm no stranger to God, but I'm the stranger in your church. I like the front pew most of the time, but sometimes I sit in the back because I'm new. Being new can be hard. New is different. New state, new city, new home and new life. Meeting new people can be hard on you, too. I know. I've sat where you are. Comfortable. Connected. Content. It takes some effort and willingness to shake a hand, offer a smile or invite a stranger into your circle.

I was thinking about how Jesus must have felt every time he came to a new city. Or Paul. Or John. New people, new places, new friends. How did the church of Acts respond to new people? Visiting people? Strangers?

I decided to take advantage of my "newness". I'm taking the next six months to visit different churches. All different kinds of churches - small churches, mega churches, denominational churches and non-denominational churches. Other people have written much more eloquently than I on theological differences, the nature of the seeker-friendly church, and the emergent church. I'm all for fixing what's broken, but I'm not into lamenting the church. I'm looking for the road less traveled. It's easier to find what sets us apart than what brings us together.

What can I celebrate about your church? Are you welcoming? Is your worship authentic? Reverent? What about your message? Can I be your champion for a visit or two?

Jesus wore sandals as I recall. Me -I like high heels. I'll be there soon. You won't be able to miss me. I'm the one dancing to the strains of sweet grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment